Friday, October 11, 2013

Action Research Progress Notes

The Internship activity that led to significant knowledge were my “Action Research Project”. From having a meeting with my principal for approval to collecting data on academically fragile students and conducting surveys was a big learning step. I had to send reminders to my fellow workers to be able to complete data and seek their cooperation from time to time which was a challenge in itself. After I received all the data and information on students regarding their scores in DPM (District Progress Monitoring, previously known as benchmark), their socio-economic background, behavior referral, single parent home, language deficient or ESL learner, then I compiled the data into a single report. Looking at the background and scores of these students, I created a tutoring plan to provide various interventions and help to these students using various sources like I-station, Star-fall, Study dog, Pearson success net which are excellent online interactive program for kids to enhance their reading skills and capture their attention making learning more fun. I also had a support staff who volunteered to help me in this endeavor by providing help during this time to monitor and guide students through these various programs. I was very nervous before I started my Action research project but after I started it, I was extremely excited to see the change and enthusiasm against the students. My action research is still an ongoing process and I have learned a lot through this journey and will continue to learn as it progresses. I will soon be conducting a PLC with my team as a leader and I am excited to share all the information that I have collected so far.

Another internship activity that provided great learning experience was creating the blog to write weekly reflection. It made me to learn to get connected with other leaders and learn from them and get their perspective on various things. It is a great way to share your vision and learn from others.

The biggest surprise that I have experienced is that sometimes it could be very overwhelming and challenging to take over the responsibility as a leader and that any kind of leadership activity or role demands a lot of dedication, patience, knowledge, courage and strength. Through this course I have learned to appreciate my leaders more and more and hopefully I can be a strong positive leader someday.



No comments: